Let’s add a little Israeli flare to Thanksgiving this year and serve a delicious Israeli salad.…
A highlight of any trip to Israel is tasting the world-famous rugelach at Marzipan in Jerusalem. If you’ve witnessed Birthright Israel groups near Machne Yehuda Market in Jerusalem they’re probably carrying a box of this rugelach with them. Like all Israeli treats, this one is also a favorite to participants.
However, like many Jewish foods, this pastry treat has adapted based on where Jews have moved throughout the world. The origins of rugelach can be traced back to the Jewish communities of Poland, Hungary and Austria. In Israel, you can find the pastry filled with halva to give it a Middle Eastern flare.
Most of all, it doesn’t matter where one is at in the world, rugelach is always a staple at Jewish gatherings. This is why filling it with chocolate is totally acceptable on for any holiday.
Chocolate Rugelach Recipe
Ingredients For the Cream Cheese Dough
- 1 package of cream cheese (8 ounce)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
Ingredients For the Chocolate Filling
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 ounce bittersweet chocolate, small pieces or shavings
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 4 pieces. Place 3 pieces back in refrigerator. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the small ball of dough on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll into a circle ⅛ inch thick (it will loosen as it comes to room temperature).
- Brush rolled out dough with ¼ of the melted butter and sprinkle with ¼ of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Sprinkle ¼ of the chocolate onto the dough, pressing it lightly into dough.
- Cut dough into 12 wedges. Roll each wedge up, starting from the thickest end, to form crescent.
- Repeat the rolling, topping and shaping with the other 3 pieces of dough.
- Place rugelach on parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.