Let’s add a little Israeli flare to Thanksgiving this year and serve a delicious Israeli salad.…
Passover 2023 begins the evening of Wednesday, April 5, and ends on Thursday, April 13, and there is no better main dish to serve than a beef brisket! For centuries, Ashkenazi Jews have been serving beef brisket on Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and Sukkot. Some say it is because it was an inexpensive cut of meat for the Jews living in the shtetls of Eastern Europe during the 1600 and 1700s.
However, brisket is not the only thing Jews love during the holidays. Many Sephardic Jews enjoy chicken with preserved lemons and olives as a Passover main. And, for a side, huevos haminados are slow-cooked eggs with onion peels. Most of all, we cannot forget dessert! For a delicious Passover-friendly treat, we suggest Jake Cohen’s coconut halva macaroons.
Coffee Rubbed Beef Brisket
Coffee Rub Spice Ingredients
- 4 tbsp ground coffee
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket Ingredients
- 4 lbs beef brisket
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups water or 2 cups beef broth
- 3 drops of Worcestershire sauce
We recommend marinating your brisket in the coffee rub overnight to maximize the flavors.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices together to make your coffee rub and set aside.
- Next, trim any excess fat from your brisket and rub the coffee rub all over. Make sure to get all sides and the top and bottom.
- Place the brisket in a large glass baking dish with lid and marinate overnight.
- Once the brisket is done marinating, add half of the sliced onion, half of the minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce and the water or broth to the bottom of your slow cooker. Then place the brisket on top and cover with the remaining onion and minced garlic.
- Turn your slow cooker on low and cook for 6-7 hours. You can also cook your brisket on high for 3-4 hours if you are running short on time.
- Once your brisket is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and let is rest for 15 minutes. Then slice the beef against the grain, serve and enjoy!
Get More Goodies in Your Inbox
We hope you’ve enjoyed our recipe picks for the perfect Passover. Which ones will you be using? For more recipes, stories, and other resources, be sure to subscribe to our updates.